Wednesday 16 January 2013

The City Project

On my return to uni after Christmas we have been given a new project, which I am actually quite excited about!

It is called The City Project, and we have to produce a piece or body of work inspired by specific sites in the City of Cardiff.

We are working in what we call our 'field groups' which basically means we work with people in other areas of art and design in order to gain hopefully a new perspective on things!! We have then been given a subject specific brief for textiles which is Memory.

Quite a lot of my work in Foundation was to do with memory as I always like making it personal to me or having a story behind the work.

So I took my camera out and about around Cardiff today and actually looked at the City. I feel like when you live somewhere for a long time you just get used to going to the same places and not actually exploring where you live! For example, if I want to go shopping I will go to Queen Street and completely miss the Arcades, which Cardiff is known for!

So today I explored the Castle Arcade!






My initial ideas for the project are:
  • Exploring the arcades around Cardiff, making some drawings around them
  • Learning more about the history of the arcades
  • Experimenting using print and stitch 
  • Maybe making something that will change, add or develop the site I was inspired by
  • Make people more aware of the arcades 
  • Take the final piece back to the site I was inspired by
So watch this space!!!


1 comment: